Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Another year older, same treatment

For years I have battled with my age. It seems as if I am treated a certain way because of my age. With work, I am fairly knowledgable with computers, I think quick on my feet and am very good at problem solving. I get my work done quickly and accurately. I also am good at analyzing situations and can look at the big picture rather than just the quick fix for now. What I have found is that the people that I work with that are not in my office take me more seriously. The people I work with at my office treat me like I am a child and like I am too young to be taken seriously. I hear comments about it all the time. But those that work in our other offices have no idea how old I am. Many of these people email or call me directly because they say that they know they can rely on me to get the job done quickly and correctly. No one else in my department has people call directly to their number to get things done. This tells me something about myself and my work. I just wish those people in my office could look past how old I am and look at the job I do instead. This whole concept has also held true with softball. Whenever I get a new pitcher to do lessons with, the parents will talk to me over the phone or through email and like what I have to say about how I teach the girls. But then the first time we meet, the first question they always ask is "now how old are you?" And they always have that skeptical tone when they say it. It just frustrates me! I'm not your typical mid 20's person. I like to think that in many ways I am more mature than most people I know that are my age. Don't judge a book by it's cover!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear ya! Don't feel bad, I am almost 40 years old and people don't treat me any better. But believe me when I say that when people see the results of your work, they have no option than to be impressed. You are indeed a mature woman, for any age. You have a great head on your shoulders and a drive to succeed. Just a few of the qualities that I like about ya! To those who do not want to give you respect, they are jealous!

1/24/2007 11:18 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

you are preachin' to the choir baby - i'm in the same boat.

1/25/2007 9:28 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It doesn't matter how old you are, it's going to happen! Just imagine the group of kids 10 years younger than you (or 20 years younger than me). They think we are old, used up, incapable, & couldn't possibly handle their current situation. Sadly they are probably right, but we won't admit that to them. You will always have the generation above or below you thinking this way!

1/25/2007 2:56 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home